Magic Fields 1.4 was released

A long time has passed  from our last release and this new release come with a lot of new stuff for the plugin.  check below the list of new things for this version of Magic Fields:
  • Magic Fields works fine with  the next release of WordPress (v3.0)
  • removed phpthumb, and was added a specific functions for make the same things to phpthumb would  do, this means to magic fields is now 7000 lines more lightweight
  • added a new type of field (markdown text field)
  • Prototype framework is not used anymore, now magic fields only use  jquery
  • Implemented new shortcodes for use the content of the magic fields inside of a post
  • Magic Fields now is avalaible in spanish and was added the .po and .mo files for translate MF in more languages.
  • integrated the changes made by the “living stories” team  for magic fields works well with  “living stories project
  • added a new option for delete the cache of the images  (for avoid overweight in the cache folder)
  • added a new function called get_clean this function doesn’t apply any filter of “the content” onto  the multiline field.
  • removed Edit in place feature,  this feature cause more troubles than benefits
  • Adding a new boton “html” in the multiline custom field.
  • new engine for remove  the physical files when a file is removed in a write panel
And These bugs was fixed:
  • magic fields don’t send anymore trash to the wordpress multimedia content http://bit.ly/av88h5
  • Now the order in the  groups works well, http://bit.ly/9tqH59
  • new way to assign categories onto the write panels (for wordpress 3.0 compatibility)  http://bit.ly/blTAZB
  • now magic fields works well when the wp-config.php file is located outside (up one level) from the wordpress root directory http://bit.ly/9NAxdI
  • Little fixes in the  in the export write panel function
  • Now the button “add new” inside of the manage page into a write panel point into the correct place (before the reference of the write panel was lost)

[UPDATE] Someone reports a bug related with the images and how are resized with the new functions of magic fields, and Edgar just fix it, if do you has the same issue for fix it you just needs replace the function called  aux_image for this one http://gist.github.com/421939  (the  function is in the file called  get-custom.php on the line 366)  and now all should be work smoothly.

The version 1.4.1  was released and fixed this issue. :)

And in another hand, someone  missed  phpthumb in magic fields for that  was added a little article in our wiki for  know how  restore phpthumb in this version of magic fields (for now the article is only in spanish, we hope to someone help us to translate the article to english)  the article is here

Be Sociable, Share!

110 responses to “Magic Fields 1.4 was released”

1. Luigi Barbati says:

yeah, this plugin is awesome.

if only will be a custom category support… i hope i’ll came soon!

2. hunk says:

Hi Matt resize image in front-end or in the admin?

Hi Luigi add suport cutom taxonomy en 1.5v

3. Josh says:

Thanks Hunk, that worked like a charm.

4. Daniele says:

Can someone briefly explain how MF manage images?

1) When you upload an image from a write panel, MF saves it in the wp-content/files_mf/ folder with its original dimensions (say its a 256×256 image).
    2) MF displays the uploaded image (in the writepanel) at 150×120 px even though I’ve setted 190px as dimension in the write panel options and 190×190 in WP media options.
    3) when I get the image back on the frontend, if I’d like to show a thumbnail version of the image, does MF have to regenerate it on the fly everytime the page is requested? Is there a cache mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

5. sebase says:

Hello,

I encountered a problem at the back end when using the image field uploader. Images that are uploaded show on the front end (both thumbnail and original size), on the back end however 9 out of 10 times the thumbnail doesn’t show. So when I upload an image it says ‘successfull upload’, but I don’t see a thumbnail.

As far as I can deduct it has something to do with the original size of the image. Smaller images tend to show the thumbnail, but larger images don’t.

Any idea how I can fix this?

6. Martin says:

@sebase: I’ve encountered same behaviour ( on 9th duplicate group) but after renaming file everything went fine. Maybe it was something else, but it worked for me. Check your filenames if it contains any not-so-basic characters. At last give it a shot.

Original name was ‘step4.6.jpg’ renamed to ‘step4-6.jpg’ and everything seems to work.

7. sebase says:

@Martin: thanks for your fast reply. It’s worth a shot, I’ll try it out.

Something else: is it possible to show the uploaded images in the WordPress Media menu?

8. Matt says:

@hunk I want to resize the images to display on the front end. So both? Example: I want to upload an image thats 1024×760 and have the plugin resize it to 600 (Wide) and then I’ll display that 600px wide image in my template.

9. Daniele says:

@Matt and @Hunk
    This is one of the doubt I also have. That’s why i’ve posted the previous question about images management im MF.

10. Jake Noble says:

Might be a good idea to put the function eip_content() function back in but just returning false. Just spent ages working out why this didn’t work!

11. hunk says:

Hi Matt and Daniele check gen_image in the wiki http://wiki.magicfields.org/doku.php?id=front-end_functions#gen_image

get_image work with params of options of the fields. Max width and Max height

12. hunk says:

clear cache in menus settings->magic fields:
    option clear cache

13. sebase says:

Let me rephrase my question of last week: Is there an easy way to delete images that are uploaded through Magic Fields and are no longer in use?

14. Daniele says:

Hi guy, found a problem on “manage” section of custom write panels, where we can see the list of posts: if I filter the list or search for a particular string, all items disappear from list and there’so no way to get them back using filters on the top of page.
    I think the problem is 2 GET variables that are lost during the filter operation:

1) filter-posts=1
    2) custom-write-panel-id=

Adding these two parameters manually on the url resolves the problem.
    Hunk, Gnuget can you patch MF to remove this issue?

Thanks a lot!

15. Daniele says:

Sorry, I’ve updated to the last master (from github) and the problem is solved, at least for filters. But clicking on buttons “all”, “published” “trash” still give an empty list (empty ’cause in my WP installation I only have posts created with a custom write panel).

16. Leland says:

What are the plans for custom post type support in version 1.5? Thanks guys. Just trying to plan for it.

17. hunk says:

Hi Leland, yes in 1.5

18. Pierre says:

Hi David and Edgar,

i’ve done the french translation of your very cool plugin (and done some little modifications to translate some forgotten sentences ;)) and now, i’d like to send you the files.

So i’m waiting for your mail to send you the frenche release.

Thanks again for the great plugin.

Amicably,

Pierre.

19. Gnuget says:

hi. you can send me the translation to me[at]gnuget[dot]org :) thanks!